[netatalk-admins] printer registration problem

Subject: [netatalk-admins] printer registration problem
From: Pierre Arnaud (parnaud@cybercable.fr)
Date: Tue Jun 01 1999 - 05:20:38 EDT

Hello

I am having a problem with netatalk 1.42b on suse 6.0. I'm very inexperienced
in terms of network administration, so I apologize if this sounds trivial.

I have been using my main linux workstation as a print server to share
a laserjet 6L with other macs.

I have just installed a new machine exclusively as a server and would
like to transfer all print services to it.

I replicated the configuration I already use on my main workstation,
that is : suse 6.0 + netatalk 1.42b.
papd.conf looks like this :

HP printer:\
        :pr=lp:

With that entry, I could see the laserjet printer in the mac's chooser
(selecting the laserwriter driver) when netatalk ran on my
workstation.

However, when starting netatalk on my new server, I get the following
message :

nbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
Can't register master:Workstation@*
nbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
Can't register master:netatalk@*

Of course, no printer is available. Also, selecting appleshare does
not show the shared directories. I need to enter the ip address of
"master" in order to access those directories, something that is not
needed when netatalk runs on my workstation.

/etc/hosts, /etc/printcap and papd.conf are similar on both machines.
I don't understand why registration fails on the server and not on
the workstation.

The server is a much more modest hardware configuration than the
workstation. X is not installed. Could that be it ?

Thanks for your help,

E-Mail: Pierre Arnaud <parnaud@cybercable.fr>
Date: 01-Jun-99
Time: 11:15:24