Re: [netatalk-admins] a cold wind bloweth

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] a cold wind bloweth
From: tkaczma@gryf.net
Date: Mon Jun 07 1999 - 20:54:48 EDT

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Patrik Schindler wrote:

> At 15:09 Uhr +0200 06.06.1999, Roland Schulz wrote:
> >I for myself would rather see a normal, ordinary tgz
>
> I fully agree. And it's easier to extract by hand.

I think both of you look at this in a very limited way. I think there
should be both. There should be a tgz for those who don't mind untgzing
it and don't care to version what they install on boxes. I'm like this
with my systems at home. There should also be an rpm for those who don't
know how to untgz, don't want to mess up their system, and those who have
so many boxes under their control that they want to maintain some kind of
sanity with packages. I'm the latter at work. I know first hand what
kind of a mess ~1400 machines can be when being maintained with tgz's and
rdist.

Tom