Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk rpm installation

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk rpm installation
From: Alex Satrapa (alex@topic.com.au)
Date: Mon Jun 28 1999 - 01:23:24 EDT

At 14:22 -0500 25/6/1999, Kerstetter wrote:
>I just installed netatalk on RedHat 5.1 using the RPM from RedHat's
>contributions ftp site. Someday I will upgrade to 6.0, but first things
>first.

First thing - run "modprobe appletalk". If that loads the appletalk module,
your problem is somewhere else.

If that can't find the appletalk module, you'll need to go to your Linux
source (usually installed under /usr/src/linux), run "make menuconfig" and
under "Networking Options", select "Appletalk DDP" as a module (press 'M',
and you should get an <M> next to the option).

Now save your kernel settings, then run "make dep clean zImage modules
modules_install". You may be able to get away without reinstalling your
kernel - that's always the hardest bit, especially if you use Lilo.

If you already have the appletalk module, and it's installed, but the
netatalk daemons aren't working, you've got other problems.

Regards
Alex
Alex Satrapa Phone: +61 2 6257 7111
Senior Internet Engineer Fax: +61 2 6257 7311
tSA Consulting Group Pty Limited
1 Hall Street Lyneham ACT 2602 http://www.topic.com.au