Re: [netatalk-admins] need for speed

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] need for speed
From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List (netatalk@fizbin.com)
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 12:51:57 EDT

> The two Servers have comperable hardware (10/100 Network, Softraid Level 5,
> G3/300 MHz PII/450MHz...)

Bear in mind that Apple's are RISC CPUs, where apples are not equal to
oranges - thus CPUs at the same 'speed' do not perform equally.

> Now I canīt believe that Linux runs slower than ASIP.

As client load increases, I've noticed that in some cases, mostly (I think)
because netatalk requires more memory the more clients you have - thus you
might be able to alleviate this by throwing more hardware (memory) at the
problem.

Harry