Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk and group file permissions

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk and group file permissions
From: Tim Carlson (tim@santafe.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 02 1999 - 22:38:10 EDT

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Ken Weiss wrote:

> At 5:33 PM -0500 7/2/99, Buck Huppmann wrote:

> netatalk logs kweiss in, the GID assigned is 100, which is the default
> group in that passwd file, not the cdlstaff group. If I go to that
> directory at the Linux command line and attempt to write files, I get
> 'Permission denied' until I do a 'newgrp cdlstaff'. Then I can write files.
> That's exactly the behavior I expect.

You shouldn't.. If you are a member of the group, regardless of whether it
is your primary group, you should be able to write files into that
directory. And IMHO you shouldn't have to be doing this newgrp garbage.
That is what "chmod g+s" is for

I would say that Linux is broken if this is how it does things.. Like what
if you want to ftp something into a directory that is 775 for a certain
group that you belong to but it isn't your primary group. Shouldn't you be
able to write files to that directory?

SunOS and Solaris have the behavior *I* would expect, but of course that
is my primary background.. Are there any other OSes out there that
exhibit this behavior of having to do a chgrp? Or do I just lead a
sheltered life :) NextStep is also like I would expect.

Tim

Tim Carlson Voice: (505) 984-8800x255
Director of Computing: Santa Fe Institute Fax: (505) 982-0565
WWW: http://www.santafe.edu/~tim Email: tim@santafe.edu