Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk and group file permissions

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk and group file permissions
From: nobroin@esoc.esa.de
Date: Mon Jul 05 1999 - 06:00:46 EDT

> At 5:33 PM -0500 7/2/99, Buck Huppmann wrote:

> netatalk logs kweiss in, the GID assigned is 100, which is the default
> group in that passwd file, not the cdlstaff group. If I go to that
> directory at the Linux command line and attempt to write files, I get
> 'Permission denied' until I do a 'newgrp cdlstaff'. Then I can write
files.
> That's exactly the behavior I expect.

and Tim Carlson replied

>You shouldn't.. If you are a member of the group, regardless of whether it
>is your primary group, you should be able to write files into that
>directory.

Tim Carlson further said

>I would say that Linux is broken if this is how it does things.. Like what
>if you want to ftp something into a directory that is 775 for a certain
>group that you belong to but it isn't your primary group. Shouldn't you be
>able to write files to that directory?
>SunOS and Solaris have the behavior *I* would expect, but of course that
>is my primary background..

I've a similar background OS wise to Tim, but I'm also a big Linux user and
Linux does the right thing as Tim would have it, and not as described by
Buck in the first extract above. I checked this under Linux 2.0.36 and
2.2.1 and the behaviour is identical, as it should be. I think Buck needs
to check his Linux box. Meanwhile, if he wants the files to be owned by
cdlstaff, he just needs to do a chmod g+s on the directory, as I think
others have pointed out.