Re: [netatalk-admins] Problems with papd providing ppd info to the mac

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Problems with papd providing ppd info to the mac
From: Espen H. Koht (ehk20@cus.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 05 1999 - 14:07:12 EDT

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Alvise Nobile wrote:

> I have netatalk on Linux, to act as a print-server for some macs.
> The mac's are supposed to see the printers as generic laserwriters, and
> get some details about them from the ppd provided by the server.
> It does not seem to work. Has anyone seen something like that and knows a
> workaround?. Here is my bug report:

This is an indirect answer to your question, but I've found that moving
printing to PPR has simplified my life tremendously. It takes advantage of
some of netatalks features for getting in touch with AppleTalk printers,
but seems to have its own PAP server which is far easier to set up. Take a
look at: http://tarzan.trincoll.edu/printing/pprfaq.html

Espen