Re: [netatalk-admins] Re: Netatalk works quite transparently:

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Re: Netatalk works quite transparently:
From: Justin C. Walker (justin@apple.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 1999 - 12:12:14 EDT

netatalk-admins@umich.edu

> On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Justin C. Walker wrote:
>
> > > From: Heinz Nabielek <h.nabielek@fz-juelich.de>
> > > Date: 1999-07-05 01:44:23 -0700
> > > To: linux-pmac@samba.anu.edu.au,
> > > mklinux-setup@public.lists.apple.com,netatalk-admins@umich.edu
>
> > > and /etc/atalk/atalkd.conf
> > > eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 65280.5
> > > whereby the last item fixes the Appletalk
> > > network address on the linux box.
> > >
> > > But- how do I fix the Appletalk address
> > > on the MacOS side?
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "fix".
>
> I think this is about forcing network address (zone, cable-range
and node
> address to be fixed and not discovered every time from the
network. Here
> 65280.5 is the node address of the linux box. This address might change
> after reboot. This may happen if you are not using -seed. You can't use
> seed here (only one interface). On the mac side you can "fix" it in the
> AppleTalk configuration in the advanced mode and lock it in the
> administrator mode. But how to "fix" it on the linux side on the
machine
> with only one interface (where you can't use seed) is still a question.

You can always "force" the network address, even in Macs. The
individual nodes can usually recover from a collision of "forced
addresses".

Even with a single interface, you should be able to seed. I don't
know precisely how netatalk works, but for systems like the Apple
Network Server and Mac OS X Server, this is legal.

The network number and node number are always subject to change upon
reboot. Normally, sytems cache addresses and use these as hints on
reboot. Seeding (of network numbers) is orthogonal to the reuse of
addresses.

Regards,

Justin

--