[netatalk-admins] Printing on HP laserjet 5MP

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Printing on HP laserjet 5MP
From: Tony Grant (tg001@dial.oleane.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 09:07:16 EDT

Hello,

Although I have been using netatalk for some time now (about 2 years, as
long as I have been using Linux) I haven't done much printing.

Recently we got a G3 for our home office and I thought that to get
around the lack of an EN port in our HP laserjet 5MP and lack of
localtalk on the G3 I would use our Linux fileserver for printing.

The printer works fine for single page printing from Pagemaker but if I
try a series of pages the printer times out at 3 pages.

The settings are "out of the box" i.e. I don't have any config files.

I would also like the printer to stop printing a blank page after each
succesfull print. I had managed to fix this a long time ago when I was
experimenting with printing but have forgotten how I did it.

I haven't tried multi-page printing from Quark XPress yet so I don' know
if this is a Pagemaker specific problem.

My server:

RedHat 6.0
Kernel 2.2.5-15
netatalk 1.4.2+asun
Parallel port HP laserjet 5MP

My client:

G3 400
Mac OS 8.6
Standard laserwriter driver or recent HP driver/PPD

Thanks in advance to anyone who may have config files or whatever.

Cheers

Tony Grant