[netatalk-admins] RH6 + MD5 passwords - PLEASE!

Subject: [netatalk-admins] RH6 + MD5 passwords - PLEASE!
From: Thierry Michalowski (Thierry.Michalowski@edipresse.ch)
Date: Fri Jul 09 1999 - 09:10:05 EDT

Hello,
I recently sent a message concerning my linux box with RedHat 6.0
installed on it.
I got no answers, only a kind but wrong one from Ken Weiss who
I directly contacted (thanks, Ken!).
I got netatalk14b3+asun sources , compiled it with DES, tcpwrapper _and_
PAM support , everything ok this far.
The problem is, I cannot mount any exported volume from a Mac with a
registered user on the Linux box; it always answers "Wrong password" .
Mounting with the "guest" account works, though.
My problem seems related to the fact that I choosed to enable MD5
passwords during the Linux installation.
I should explain that MD5 passwords are in no way related to the shadow
passwords system: MD5 is simply another algorithm of encryption of the
passwords that, as a side effect, allows for 256-bytes long passwords!
(okay, from a Mac point of view this is of no use so I restrict the mac
accounts to 8-bytes passwords).
So, my question is this : has anyone succeeded in running netatalk on
such a Linux configuration?
Thanks a lot
Thierry Michalowski

--
Thierry Michalowski                                     /
Edipresse Publications S.A                 \\\' ,      / //