Re: [netatalk-admins] Remote TCP/IP Postscript Printer

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Remote TCP/IP Postscript Printer
From: Russell E Glaue (russ@cait.org)
Date: Mon Jul 19 1999 - 12:20:01 EDT

When I send jobs to the lpd for this printer from the unix machine, I
never get the "Warning: no daemon present". I get "sending to:
NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN" and it stays that way until the job is completed and is
removed from the queue.
Printing from the macintosh to the lpd through papd I get the same exact
thing except that after the would be time needed to normally print, I
get the warning: no daemon present, the job never prints, and it stays in
the lpd queue.
I also noticed that when printing from unix, I get three files that appear
in the spool directory for a single job. When printing through papd I get
only two files that appear in the spool.

I remember reading in a netatalk FAQ that the "Warning: no daemon present"
is normal, however I think this does state an actual error because when
the job is first sent to the lpd through papd the status is "sending to
NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN" for 2 to 3 seconds before turning to "Warning: no daemon
present".
Normal jobs sent from the unix host state "sending to NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN" for
3 to 5 seconds before the job is removed from the lpd queue and is
actually printed from the printer. The Warning never appears in this case.