Re: [netatalk-admins] translate content of TEXT-files?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] translate content of TEXT-files?
From: Palle Girgensohn (girgen@partitur.se)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 10:27:38 EDT

Jim Zajkowski wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Tore Halset wrote:
>
> > Someone create a .html-file on a Netatalk-volume on our webserver with
> > some norwegian characters (æøåÆØÅ) with BBEdit. Later they want to look at
> > the webpage with Netscape or IE, but characters have changed
> >
> > ø to a ¿
> > å to a ? and so on.
>
> Regardless, this is not the way to make web pages. If someone in a
> different locale opens your file, they, too, will see trash.
>
> The solution is the proper HTML entities:

> Jim

...or, start the html file with <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

This will tell browsers which character set to use. Hence, the posting
is really not incorrect html. You could probably change this into
charset=macroman-something and not do any translation at all, but that
would probably break for some browsers.

I think there might be even more problems with iso translation turned on
in netatalk, but that depends on the knowledge level of the users, I
guess. It's not too hard to implement, I guess, but there are problems
to take into consideration, like what to do with MacRoman characters not
existing in the smaller ISO character set.

The easiest way to get it working is probably to use html-entities, or
maybe use CAP? Also, some mac programs should be able to save files in
iso charset representration, and for bbedit there's a macroman<->iso
translation plugin in the info-mac archive.

ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/mac/info-mac/text/bbe/midex-pack-132.hqx

/Palle