Re: [netatalk-admins] Backup?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Backup?
From: Mike Holling (myke@ees.com)
Date: Fri Aug 06 1999 - 16:21:35 EDT

> Mount /homes and folder on the G3 desktop.
> Backup with retrospect.
>
> I really don't know why people make this so hard...

I've run into some problems doing this with a FreeBSD P100 server.
Something goes awry when Retrospect tries to backup large directory
structures (with thousands of filename entries). Backing up each
individual directory is fine, but trying to do the entire tree results in
lots of mystery errors about missing files, and the backup ultimately
fails. We're currently using Retrospect's duplicate function to first
dupe the netatalk volume onto a local disk, then dumping that to tape.
No clue why the dupe function doesn't have the filename problem. The
other advantage of this approach is that AppleTalk tends to be too slow to
keep the tape streaming, so you get much better utilization with the
two-step approach. The only drawback is needing a large "holding disk" on
the backup mac.

- Mike