[netatalk-admins] afpd problems (crlf & drop boxes)

Subject: [netatalk-admins] afpd problems (crlf & drop boxes)
From: Duncan Sinclair (sinclair@dis.strath.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 11 1999 - 10:50:19 EDT

Hi Folks,

I've got a couple of problems I wonder are common...

1) Drop boxes don't work.

There was discussion on this before - did it get resolved?

Basically the problem is that if directory "Drop" is a dropbox, then
afpd gives it mode "drwx-wl-w-", where the "l" means setgid, but not
group executable. It also creates gives "Drop/.AppleDouble" the same
mode. When someone else comes along to drop a file afpd does not have
permission to write into "Drop/.AppleDouble" due to the mode of "Drop".

I wonder if afpd can't give "x" permissions to directories without
breaking things.

2) CR <-> LF conversion is screwy.

I've talked to Adrian about this and he doesn't see it, I wonder if anyone
else (esp. Solaris or gcc 2.95 users).

I've got "options:crlf" turned on.

When I copy a text file onto my server there is no crlf processing
taking place, but it happens at all other times.

This leads to corrupt files.

e.g.
  1) Using "Simple Text", I create a local text file full of CRs.
  2) I copy it onto server - it appears on server's disk full of CRs. (wrong!)
  3) I open the server file with "Simple Text" - full of LFs. (wrong!)
  4) I edit LFs into CRs manually and re-save it on server.
  5) It now appears on the server full on LFs. (right!)
  6) Re-opening it with "Simple Text" shows the CRs. (right!)

I don't want to have to re-edit every file I copy on to my server.

Thanks for any info on these topics!

Duncan.