Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk Security

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk Security
From: Vicki Brown (vlb@deltagen.com)
Date: Wed Aug 11 1999 - 17:12:18 EDT

At 13:42 -0700 8/11/99, a sun wrote:
> Someone please tell me why I should possibly want this when I have a
> perfectly valid (er, encrypted) /etc/passwd file at hand?
>
> Do I _need_ this (~/.passwd) in order to allow changing passwords via
>the
> dialog? In order to not use cleartext passwords in the Chooser dialog.
>
> isn't this a faq? i know that it's showed up in the list numerous
> times.

I haven't been on the list numerous times (I ded search what I had, and I
haven't thrown anything away, but all I found going back to January was
"This is how it works" not "This is WHY it works this way".

> here's the deal: /etc/passwd keeps a 1-way hash of your password. you
> can't actually extract the real password from it.

OK. Logical. I can live with "cleartext" passwords. We're inside the
firewall. Can this vary by user? If the user has a ~/.passwd file it's not
clear going over the wire? Or will I have to switch everyone to the
~/.passwd regime if any one (highly placed and VIP person complains?)

Is the ability to set a new password related to this?

Do I need to try again to build and install a newer version of netatalk
other than the (binary distribution of)
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-oa1a.ppc in order to allow setting passwords? I
have source for netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1. It claims to be building. Will
this give me what I want? Is there an easier way? (I really am loathe to
change out what's "working" now).

What the heck _is_ this "User Authentication Module" I keep getting yelled
at about, anyway?

> current development patchset also has support for it if you have
> access to the openssl libraries.

doubtful. That hard, I don't want to work. This is my _part-time_ job.
-----
 //=\ Vicki Brown <vlb@deltagen.com>
 \=// Journeyman Sourcerer: Scripts & Philtres
  //=\
  \=// Scientific Programming <> Perl, Unix, Mac
   //=\ A little Web gardening on the weekends
   \=//
    //=\ Deltagen, Inc; 1031 Bing St, San Carlos, CA 94070