Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk on Solaris 7

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk on Solaris 7
From: Tony Canning (tonyc@foe.co.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 24 1999 - 06:28:26 EDT

On Aug 23, 10:53pm, Chris G. Sellers wrote:
> Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk on Solaris 7
> David,
> I also noted some issues with Solaris7 and 64bit. I was able to
> get it to work but had to use some talored code. I'll see if I can find
> that for you and arrange for an area to get it ftp.
>

> > I compiled netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3.tar.gz with gcc
> > on a SPARCstation running Solaris 2.6 and it ran OK.
> >
> > I upgraded the SPARCstation to Solaris 7, and booted the 64-bit Solaris 7
> > kernel, and netatalk didn't work. I then booted the 32-bit Solaris 7
> > kernel and netatalk worked again, all without recompiling.
> >
> > I just wanted to inquire to make sure that's the expected behavior.
> > Is there a satisfactory route to getting netatalk to work with 64-bit
> > Solaris 7?
> >
> > I was gratified that my samba binaries
> > worked in 64-bit mode with no effort whatever on my part.
> > I originally converted from totalnet to samba and netatalk because
> > I couldn't upgrade the operating system to Solaris 7 without buying new
> > licenses for a new version of totalnet.
> >
> > David Hough
> > fireman@validgh.com
> >

> <(************************************************************)>
>
> CHRIS G. SELLERS
> Scientific Programmer Analyst
> Information & Instructional Technology
> (formerly Computer & Information Services)
> 101 Kresge Library
> Oakland University - Rochester, Michigan 48309-4401
> Phone: (248) 370.2016 FAX: (248) 370.4251
>-- End of excerpt from Chris G. Sellers

Dear Chris, I am also hoping to install netatalk on Solaris 7 (on a SPARC E450)
and would be grateful for any tips - I couldn't find any references
to solaris 7 on the mail archive.

Tony Canning
Technical & Support Manager
Friends of the Earth England, Wales & N. Ireland
tonyc@foe.co.uk
http://www.foe.org.uk