Re: [netatalk-admins] Valid shell needed for users?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Valid shell needed for users?
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 16:03:11 EDT

Quoting Mike Holling (myke@ees.com) from Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 10:57:29PM -0600:
> Ran into a problem/feature I haven't seen before: netatalk won't let users
> log on if their shell is /nonexistant. man afpd doesn't say anything
> about shells, anyone have a quick pointer?
>
> - Mike

Usual Behavior. Your ftp daemon probably works the same way. Make
their shell something like /bin/false and add /bin/false to /etc/shells
and you're all set.

(This lets you have two "shells that don't let people login directly"
while still enabling ftp/afp/smb access for one group of people and
completely blocking another group.)

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Information and Instructional Technology Services