[netatalk-admins] Re: netatalk... sorry to bother you directly

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: netatalk... sorry to bother you directly
From: Benjamin Lee (ben@power-net.com.au)
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 07:52:44 EDT

hi,

you may find this interesting.

i had LOTS of problems getting the network going. arghh... but...
i found that if i unplugged my linux box from the network and started up
netatalk... '/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start' and THEN i connected it to the
network after it had successfully assigned addresses to my ethernet
devices. everything worked. i'm just scared of turning my machine off!!
;-)

just a couple of things...

1) i think the '/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk' script needs to have a check for
the use of rmmod rather than depmod -r ?? does it make a difference ??

2) what happens when i have the linux box connected to the network and i
start 'atalk start' is that it sends LOTS of packets out (can see by the
flashing leds and ifconfig) and it tries to allocate an appletalk phase 2
addr to the interfaces without success. (tries lots of addresses!) even
though my linux box is supposed to seed the network. and finally gives up.

so i found i solution though not elegant.

later,

- Benjamin Lee

| Internet Administrator | Mob: 041 494 2544 |
| Power-Net Computer Consultants P/L | Fax: +613 9425 9091 |
| 50 Madden Grove, Burnley 3121 VIC Australia | Ph: +613 9425 9090 |

If a man loses his reverence for any part of life, he will lose his
reverence for all of life.
                -- Albert Schweitzer