Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk-Linux : timed out probem

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk-Linux : timed out probem
From: Andrew Morgan (morgan@SCF.ORST.EDU)
Date: Mon Sep 06 1999 - 13:32:22 EDT

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, [iso-8859-1] Daléas Jacques wrote:

> We own this net server "poweredge 2300" from dell operated on Linux RedHat
> 6.0 by samba and netatalk (instaled wth RPM pakage
> netatalk_1_4b2+asun2-1-3-4-i386.rpm).
>
> Netatalk causes an error :
> error message = eth0 : transmit timed out : status 0050 0000 at
> 501/516 command 00000000
>
> This error shuts off all net services that make le server out of net.
>
> This error never occurs when netatalk is disabled.

We bought two 2300's and had the same problem. They both came with Intel
EtherExpress100 network cards. Upgrading to the latest driver didn't fix
the problem, so we swapped the Intel cards for 3Com 3C905B network cards,
installed the latest driver (0.99L), and the problem appears to be fixed
(no problems for several months now).

Maybe a newer driver for the Intel card has been released which fixes this
problem? The problem apparently stems from the handling of multicast
addresses, and it was also a problem on the earlier drivers for the 3C905B
card. We reported the problem to Dell, but they hadn't seen it before, so
I just assumed it was unique to our set of software and services. Oh
well, I like 3Com better anyways... :)

        Andy