Re: [netatalk-admins] Using TCPWrappers

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Using TCPWrappers
From: Steven Karel (karel@brandeis.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 12 1999 - 11:13:23 EDT

Here's my understanding of setting up tcpwrappers with afpd

/etc/inetd.conf : don't touch it, you don't need to

/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny: add lines with the tcpwrapper
syntax, for the service "afpd"

examples from my files:
hosts.allow:

afpd: .brandeis.edu, my.other.allowedaddress.com

hosts.deny

afpd: ALL

this allows appleshare IP from any machine in brandeis.edu and also
from my.other.allowedaddress.com and denies from any other.

I've tested this, and it seems to work.

---

my question:

I would like to be able to run multiple instances of afpd on different ports and apply different hosts.allow and hosts.deny rules to them. At present, I can't figure out a way to do this.

for example, in afpd.conf I have:

"Example Public" -uamlist uams_guest.so -loginmesg "Welcome Brandeis Users" -po rt 24001 -nouservol -defaultvol /usr/local/atalk/etc/GuestVolumes.default "Example Users" -port 24002 -uservol -uamlist uams_clrtxt.so,uams_dhx.so "Example External" -ipaddr 10.10.10.11 -port 24000 -noddp -uamlist uams_dhx.so -nosavepassword

(names, port #s, and ip addresses changed to protect the innocent)

and this seems to work, although afpd listens at all the ip addresses on eth0 instead of only at the one specified..., but it seems to be all or nothing with tcpwrappers -- it applies to all of the afpd services. What I'd like to do is allow connections to "Example External" from outside the university, but not to the "Example Users" or "Example Public" shares.

steven