[netatalk-admins] Netatalk w/ encrypted passwords

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk w/ encrypted passwords
From: Prentice Bisbal (pbisbal@pppl.gov)
Date: Wed Oct 06 1999 - 17:22:36 EDT

After a week of struggling, I finally got netatalk to compile w/ support for
PAM. TCP Wrappers and DES encryption on a 64-bit Solaris 7 machine. BUt, now I
can't get the 2-way encrypted passwords to work. I followed the instructions
inthe Faq-O-Matic and created a ~/.passwd file in my account. I am the owner,
and the file is readable/writable only by me. When I try to connect from a Mac,
it says a I have the wrong password.

Contents of my afpd.conf file:

"grumpy" -nocleartext -randnum -rand2num

my ~/.password file:

-rw------- 1 pbisbal staff 9 Oct 5 16:24 /u/pbisbal/.passwd

The password is 8 alphanumeric characters.

I am using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3, running on 64-bit Solaris 7.

Is there anything I'm missing?

--
Prentice Bisbal
pbisbal@pppl.gov