Re: [netatalk-admins] Printing woes continue

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Printing woes continue
From: Russell E Glaue (russ@cait.org)
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 14:35:38 EDT

If you are printing remotely from the Linux box to the printer over
TCP/IP, then you have met a known problem.
I still have not seen this documented in any Netatlk Tutorials yet though,
so that is probably why you have not seen an answer.

The LPR program is the problem in this case, and not netatalk. LPR expects
a file to be spooled that has a name of a certain number of characters.
Netatalk's PAPD sends variable length named files to the LPR spool as one
would expect to be okay. However LPR does not expect this situation
between it and PAPD to have ever occurred, so it just lets the PAPD print
job sit in the spool and does nothing with it.

If you check the Netatlk Archives, you will find a patch for the LPR.