[netatalk-admins] Spanning Tree and Netatalk

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Spanning Tree and Netatalk
From: Lewis Pennock (lewis@lewis.net)
Date: Mon Nov 01 1999 - 12:29:06 EST

Does the Spanning Tree and AppleTalk problem discussed in the TIL article
below affect Netatalk?

<http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n30922>

Whenever I start up Netatalk on one RedHat machine the switch and hub
traffic lights shoot through the roof, and the everything AppleTalk
related slows down to a crawl across the board. I have to shut down the
daemon to get things back to normal. I am leaving the atalkd.conf file
blank with just the eth0 interface, and it correctly looks like this
after I start it up:

eth0 -phase 2 -net 200-209 -addr 205.221 -zone "Hammock"

This problem didn't start happening until I upgraded to a Cisco Catalyst
switch and put a 10/100 card in the Linux box. I have just disabled
Spanning Tree to fix all our G3s which were acting up (see the TIL
article), and tonight I will start testing Netatalk again, but if anyone
can tell me whether or not the Spanning Tree problem even affects
Netatalk at all in the first place it might save me some time. I guess
what I'm asking is, "Is it a protocol wide problem or just a MacOS
implementation problem?" Thanks!

-Lewis

--
Lewis Pennock