Re: [netatalk-admins] Desktop File

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Desktop File
From: Jonathan Paisley (jonp@chem.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 10:09:06 EST

>From: "Andy Daws" <ad@bepp.co.uk>
>Here's an interesting one if you add a large number of files to a Mac viewable
volume under unix, when a macintosh comes to view the contents of this volume it
builds the desktop file to add the new files. If there are a large number of
files this can take some time before the file list/Icons appears.

>My question is has anyone written any utils to handle adding files under unix
so that the desktop file is maintained as the files are added rather than when a
Mac connects.

I've written a small utility that rebuilds the desktop database based on any
files in a given volume that have their BNDL bit set.

If anyone's interested please let me know and I'll see about packaging it up for
public consumption.

Jonathan Paisley
jonp@chem.gla.ac.uk