Re: [netatalk-admins] RedHat-6.1 / kernel-2.2.13

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] RedHat-6.1 / kernel-2.2.13
From: Sascha Knific (knific@attglobal.net)
Date: Sat Nov 06 1999 - 20:03:32 EST

Hi,

> but it does not seem to work. Although the module is loaded:
>
> [root@osmin netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4]# /sbin/lsmod
> Module Size Used by
> appletalk 17248 12 (autoclean)
> via-rhine 9156 1 (autoclean)
> raid5 19208 1 (autoclean)

Ok, you have a via-rhine based network card. This cards / driver (?)
have problems with multicasting. This is used heavily by the AppleTalk
protocol.

That is why...

> it does not appear in any of our Mac's choosers.

Try changing the settings of your ethernet device e.g. eth0

"ifconfig eth0 allmulti"

As I can remenber this setting will make your ethernet card listening
to all multicasting packets on the network.
The broken or whatever multicast filter code in the driver or
network card wonīt get used and everything is fine.

This are the information I found out about this problem and I really
donīt no much about the real technical problems, but this is my
explanation.

Good luck,

Sascha Knific