[netatalk-admins] atalkd dies away / buy which NIC / I would like to know...

Subject: [netatalk-admins] atalkd dies away / buy which NIC / I would like to know...
From: Lars (lars@netpage.de)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 08:45:17 EST

Admins,
as a long time subscriber I always wondered about this "conflict-free" and
"emotionless" list. It was so disciplined. Clean. A bit to clean. Thank you
for the "I would like to know..." thread - now I know that there are people
on the other end!

*buy which NIC.
Thanks a lot to Sascha Knific for his "tip" with the Via-Rhine driver
enabled NICs. It made my Netatalk server show up in the chooser again. Even
though one of my networks has a server running the exact card
(D-Link550BTX) without any obvious troubles. Nevertheless I would like to
trash the card an put in another one. Any suggestions (I thought of a
3com905BTX)?

*atalkd dies away.
Okay some of us have "old" servers running - mine was/is
"netatalk-1_4b2+asun2_0a18_2_tar.gz" (running on SuSE6.0-6.2 -
2.2.10kernel) - humin' without a flaw in a production environment. Now with
a new DES-1024 D-Link switch in the net, I would like to "bump up" the network.
So I got "netatalk-1_4b2+asun2_1_3_tar.gz", compiled, wanted to start, BUT:
atalkd dies away right after I start it with my "/sbin/init.d/atalk". If I
start atalkd with the "-d" switch, he/she stays up (sure debug goes to
STDOUT). I can then do the "network register" etc. Even compiled atalkd
with debug symbols, tracing the darn thing with ddd/gdb - but I just can't
seem to find the problem.

Any ideas? Using the SuSE netatalk*.rpm is _not_ an option for me.

Anyways thank you all for your help _through_ this list!

regards,
Lars Georg Sander

PS: "Test-setup": AMDK6II400, 160RAM, Thunderlan10/100NIC (Compaq)

---
netpage wiesbaden
tel 0611.9812042
http://www.netpage.de