Re: [netatalk-admins] End the Beta!

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] End the Beta!
From: Georg Schwarz (schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de)
Date: Fri Nov 12 1999 - 06:10:00 EST

> > >I don't know why the AppleTalk support for Linux
> > >is not pushed more, because it is very fast and easy to configur.
> >
> > Bummer. Netatalk is _not_ "AppleTalk for Linux". Never has been.
> >
> > And I am getting sick and tired of the implicite 'Linux .equ Unix',
> > _especially_ from German people. Get a clue. Please!
> What else if not AppleTalk???

the emphasis is not on "AppleTalk" but on "Linux".
Many people (e.g. on Usenet) lately tend use Linux as a synonym for
Unix, implying that there's nothing else (often you hear implicitely that
there's no other OS than Linux and MS Windows; now that Linux has achieved
some popularity level, also in media, clueless people who used to think
computer == PC == MS DOS/Windows nowadays are pround to realize that
there's an "alternative OS" called Linux; and some might even have proudly
installed it from the CD shipped with their PC magazine etc.; I think
you get the idea...) . I'm not sure if that's particularely true for
Germans, but I do agree that I've come across this notion with Germans
increasingly often :-( (then again, a good dead of people whose comments
I read happen to be Germans)

--
Georg Schwarz                             schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de
Institut für Theoretische Physik    Tel. +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130