[netatalk-admins] Can't log on with MacOS 9.0 and RedHat 6.0...

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Can't log on with MacOS 9.0 and RedHat 6.0...
From: TJ Snider (timsn@home.com)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 00:21:43 EST

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping you can help me.

I have a small home network with a Mac running MacOS 9 and a Linux Redhat
6.0 upgraded to the 2.12 kernel running netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3. Appletalk
is loaded and I can get afpd up and running fine.

I can select the server "cedar" from the chooser, however I can't log on to
the server, as a I get a message "The connect to this server has been
unexpectedly broken." When running afpd under gdb, I get a debug message
comming out;

command: 18
..AFP2.2.Cleartxt passwrd.timsn.XXXXXX where XXXXXX is the password I
entered.

tail /var/log/messages reveals

afpd[1006]: ASIP session:548(7) from 192.168.2.2:49195(8)
afpd[1000]: server_child[1] 1006 done
afpd[1007]: ASIP session:548(7) from 192.168.2.2:49196(8)
afpd[1000]: server_child[1] 1007 killed

I have shadow passwords turned on in my system and the -DSHADOWPW included
in the etc/afpd/Makefile but I do note that in the root Makefile the
PAMDIR=/usr which I'm not certain is correct. I have put a .passwd file into
the correct directory /home/timsn so that should have that angle covered...

I can log on to "cedar" via telnet so it's not a matter of hosts.allow.

I've tried a variety of strategies and am stumped.... I've read through the
man pages and most of the website at least once... Does anyone have any
suggestions for what might be the problem?

I am a developer, just not that skilled under Linux yet, so if there is a
particular place I can stop and check stuff inside afpd with gdb, feel free
to let me know...

Thanks,

TJ