Re: [netatalk-admins] Photoshop and Pagemaker eating graphics

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Photoshop and Pagemaker eating graphics
From: Benjamin Lee (ben@power-net.com.au)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 09:39:10 EST

Andy is correct.

The reason being of course that LaserWriters by default only accept 7 bit
connections. One used to be able to use the LaserWriter Utility to change
to 8 bit connections. Don't know where it's got to nowadays.

But the easiest way to solve the problem is to change the encoding to
ASCII. It's in the Print dialog of Photoshop so should be the same in
PageMaker.

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Andrew Morgan wrote:

> You have to set them to print in ascii or binary mode, whichever is
> different from how it is currently set. I think ascii mode is correct,
> but I'm not positive. Try choosing the other setting.
>
> Andy
>
> On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Robert W. Burgholzer wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I am ruunning papd and atalk on a slackware box, with a 1.3x
> > distribution, and am haing trouble printing with photoshop and
> > pagemaker. Both choke my print spooler when outputting documents with
> > graphics in them. The jobs get 2/3 of the way finished then just hang.
> > The same graphics print out readily when sent from netscape. I have also
> > tried outputting them to a file, then lpr'ing them, but they too succeed
> > only in jamming the print server.
> > I have searched their sites, but to no avail.
> > I remember PageMaker 5x used to have trouble in an all mac network that
> > I used to work in, but can't recall the fix.
> >
> > I am now having trouble with PM6.5 on G3 macs, the printers are a
> > Personal LaserWriter NTR, and an NEC Silentwriter v.95.
> >
> > Anybody got any clues??
> >
> > Thanks,
> > rob
> >
> > --
> > Robert W. Burgholzer
> > Director of Technology
> > Sandy Spring Friends School
> > 301-774-7455x111
> > robertwb@ssfs.org

-- Ben

| Benjamin Lee | |
| Internet Administrator | Mobile: 0416 122 779 |
| PowerNET Computer Consultants P/L | Fax: +613 9425 9091 |
| 50 Madden Grove, Burnley 3121 VIC Australia | Phone: +613 9425 9090 |

"Well," Brahma said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
wiser, but an intelligent man requires only two thousand five hundred."
                -- The Mahabharata.