Re: [netatalk-admins] Re: Sherlock takes a LONG time

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Re: Sherlock takes a LONG time
From: ME (dugan@libwais.sonoma.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 19:23:14 EST

Elimination of all of the items mentione helps others to address your
question.

I have multiple 8Gb volumes shared with ix86 based Linux server with
recent stable asun netatalk setup.

4 to 6 Gb are filled on the 8BGb volumes and users have reported no
problems with speed for finding files on our servers.

We use the built in "Find File" with System 8.1, 8.61, and 9, and have
found no differences in speed for doing searches: they have all takken
about the same amount of time.

Here is another suggestion since you know the other basic suggestyions
have been reviewed:

There can be a significant performance cost in dealing with resource and
data form recombination when copying files to and from a netatalk volume.

IF someone has recently dumped a lot (i mean a lot) of small files on your
volume, this could mean an increas in searching time, but I don't think it
would move to 2 hours.

Could it be that you have a few damaged files on the volume that netatalk
is having difficulty in serving? Maybe make a directory in art of the tree
un-readable, and try using sherlock to see if you can isolate the problems
in the search taking tso long to a particular group of files...

There were issues brought up before about spanning tree with seeing shares
in AppleTalk zones properly, but that is probably not your problem...
There were issues a long while back with AntiVirus Software's automatic
running that caused problems, but this is probaby not your problem
eaither.

I assume you are running with Mac OS 8.1 or better so as to rule out some
of the problems associated with earlier System 7.x series systems and
understanding large network volumes....

Have you tried to create less than 2Gb shares to see if your sherlock
problems go away? Maybe even create a 1.5Gb image, losetup with loopback
interface and mount it, then share it and copy the files over to it just
for testing sake (if you cannot get a separate disk or partition that is
1.5Gb.)

Hey, you are the one that is *there* and has done all of the testing. All
I can do is provide suggestions based on the input you offer me. I did not
mean to offend you with a list of common questions. Your original message
did not cover those issues, so to move us towards a direction of solution,
I included them.

-ME
Systems Department Operating Systems Analyst for the Ruben Salazar Library
              of California State University at Sonoma.
  /UNIX(/BSD/SysV)\N_NW[.]VMS\WNTS\WNTW\W95\W311\WFWG\DOS:MacOS/NeXTSTEP