Please note: Services listed on this page are available to
schools, colleges, and departments of the University of Michigan.
They are not available to individuals at U of M, nor to individuals
or groups not affiliated with the University of Michigan. Billing
requires a six-digit account or the appropriate chartfield information.
Please contact email@example.com for more
Wasup - Web Application Sign Up (Beta)
Wasup is a tool which allows users to create instances of
popular web services like Drupal and MediaWiki. We may expand
the list of web application offerings in the future based on
community feedback. The UM webmaster team is not intending to
compete with any existing solutions, or in-house projects. We
have several motives for offering this service:
- reduce duplicated or competing infrastructures
- help to reduce the amount of times that people have to re-invent the wheel
- easier for campus users to get their own web applications, without needing to download, install, and maintain it themselves
- easier to track the use of web applications on our infrastructure, and upgrade centrally when necessary when a security vulnerability is disclosed
- meet the needs of a large cross section of campus
Units, groups, and departments at the University of Michigan
can use Wasup. A 6-digit account number is required in order to
use Wasup to sign up for services. In order to for a person to
sign their group up for a service, the person either needs to
be a University of Michigan faculty
or staff member, or they need to
webmaster to be added to a list of other authorized people.
There is no charge at this time. Account numbers are
collected for verification and registration purposes. In the
future there may be a charge for applications similar to the
fee for the virtual hosting service. If a fee is established,
current users would be able to opt out. Archives of their
service instances would be available to help them migrate
their site elsewhere.
You can use Wasup to sign
up for various web services now.
For wasup mediawikis, note that ITS Education Services offers Mediawiki Training which may be of interest.
A virtual host provides web service at a specific domain name while stilll offering the access control and management functionality of an AFS directory. It optionally includes functionality not available on the "www.umich.edu" gateway servers. Features include:
- Apache on hardened Linux
- Flexible Apache configuration
- IP or name-based depending on requirements
- Multi-homed ( 2 machines, more if load
requires ) to maximize load balancing and
- Machines located in multiple production server
- 24 x 7 expert monitoring
- Includes PHP and MySQL service
if desired (incurs charge).
- SSL Available (incurs charge).
- Kerberos password authentication with LDAP
authorization available ( requires SSL )
- Configurable monthly log reports ( using analog )
unprocessed logs available for 6 months
- Files served from IFS home directories, which include robust filesystem
backup and directory-level access control
- Mail forwarding available
- $50.00 per year (free if not using PHP, mySQL, or SSL)
- Included with Application Hosting Service
Current hosts include:
Note: Sub-domain requests for the umich.edu domain
are governed by the Standard Practice Guide section 601.15-1. The
creation of such a domain requires the written authorization of
the unit director, provided to the UM hostmaster: ( firstname.lastname@example.org ).
To start the process of setting up a group IFS home directory visit this page.
Once you have an approved domain name and Group IFS home
directory, sign up for virtual hosting here.
Web Application Hosting:
- Same configuration as Virtual Hosting ( on
different servers )
- Supports authoring in virtually any programming or
scripting language (CGIs), php, and mod_perl.
- Kerberos password authentication available (requires SSL)
- Development/testing environment identical to
- Includes 10 gigabyte of Oracle tablespace on
our production Oracle servers (and access to
development Oracle tablespace).
- Additional Oracle space available
- Debugging and security auditing support included.
- $480.00/year ( $40.00/month )
SSL Server Certificates:
- InCommonCA Certificates (128-bit): Available at no cost
Through our participation in the InCommon Federation, we're able to
issue commercially-signed certificates to campus as a "common good" so there is no cost to units for these certs. InCommon uses InstantSSL as its vendor.
InCommon Server CA
AddTrust External CA Root
- UM-Signed Certificates: available at no cost
We have been working with the UMCE
Identification, Authentication, and
Authorization (IAA) team to create a UM Web
Server root CA.
If your users are mostly members of the UM
community or are willing to install our root CA
certificate you can offer 128 bit SSL
encryption on your web server at no additional cost
to you. [ UMWEB CA Certificate ]
Use the Web
Application Sign Up (Wasup) service to request one of
the certificates described above. You will need to
generate a CSR by following your server's instructions.
You will also need a 6-digit University shortcode and name
of the authorized signer for billing.
We no longer offer Verisign certificates. If you need
such a cert, they are available from
We have also discontinued our Entrust and InstantSSL PKI contracts. Contact those companies
directly if you'd like to utilize their certificates for your server(s).
Database Hosting & Consulting
Our Oracle servers provide the back-end for the
University's accounting and billing system,
several database courses, and numerous
- 24 x 7 monitoring
- DBA on-call
- Nightly hot backups
- Realtime data replication for high availability
- Database space included with Application Hosting Service
Our MySQL hosting service as proven to be a popular option for PHP
developers and anyone interested in a fast, reliable
query-optimized database solution. On our mysql service,
we're hosting the preferences and session data for mail.umich.edu, the token
and preference data for Spam Busters,
data for managing friend
accounts, and many other web-applications.
For developers, we also host an instance
More information about our mysql
service is available.
We develop mission critical tools,
applications, and web sites for campus.
Our software projects include: directory.umich.edu,
webfs, www.umich.edu news management utility,
umce accounts, spg, online uniqname/account
creation, cosign, mod_ometer, the ITCS
showcase online catalog, and many others.
Please see our software
section for source, documentation, and
access to our public CVS tree repository.
We are often called upon to provide assistance
and expertise around campus. This takes
many forms, but includes: webmaster mail
direct support, gateway team, wolverine access
support, providing accessibility assessments,
standards, wwwsig, etc.