Re: [netatalk-admins] Net Boot (Was: AS IP speeds)

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Net Boot (Was: AS IP speeds)
From: Chris Irvine (chrisi@dhorse.com)
Date: Fri Jan 08 1999 - 12:46:10 EST

>> From: Chris Irvine <chrisi@dhorse.com>
>> To: netatalk-admins@umich.edu
>
>> I don't think this will work. I have been drilling Apple about the file
>> services in OS X server. A quick look shows that net booted imacs are not
>> booting from an AFP volume.
>
> I have sniffs from a netbooting iMac. It could be that things have
> changed since I took it, as it was fairly early. It looked to me to be
> a DHCP transaction followed by an ASIP filesystem mount. I understand
> that it doesn't work with AS over AppleTalk (ASAT?).

I say this because the the iMac had two volumes mounted on startup after a
netboot. A boot volume and an applications volume. Get info said both
were local, locked, HFS+ partitions. My first guess was hard NFS style
mount. One of the MacWorld conference sessions demonstrated how to
configure the net boot operation in DR2.x. When I asked, they didn't know
how it worked. In fact a good portion of Apple's people don't seem to even
be sure what or "if" ASIP style services are include OS X server. I do
know they are in there. But it could be anything at this point: NetAtalk,
Xinet, ASIP6, or Helios. The members of the ASIP6 team that I asked about
it said they didn't know what it was, and were fairly sure that it wasn't a
port of ASIP6... yet.

Chris

Chris Irvine mail: chrisi@dhorse.com
Information Systems Technician web: http://www.dhorse.com/
Dark Horse Comics, Inc. phone: 503-652-8815 x367
PGP Fingerprint:
2D99 60B9 9868 3CF6 2E04 82C2 57E0 8B44 E322 090C