Re: [netatalk-admins] Net Boot (Was: AS IP speeds)

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Net Boot (Was: AS IP speeds)
From: a sun (asun@saul4.u.washington.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 09 1999 - 03:23:27 EST

   I have sniffs from a netbooting iMac. It could be that things have
   changed since I took it, as it was fairly early. It looked to me to be
   a DHCP transaction followed by an ASIP filesystem mount. I understand
   that it doesn't work with AS over AppleTalk (ASAT?).

this is what i heard from one of the os x server folks at macworld:
     1) there's a dhcp transaction (actually, he said a bootp thing,
        but that doesn't really matter)
     2) the imac tftp's a rom image from the server.
     3) that rom image sets up the imac to query the server for an
        asip mount.

so, everything but the rom image should be fairly trivial to do. a
bunch of the linux folks initially tried to get the imac to net boot
early on before there was usb support. as it should be possible to net
boot an imac into linux, maybe somebody motivated will figure out what
the mac is expecting. to get a net booting mac os, however, we'd need
access to a net booting apple rom image. i doubt that would be easy to
obtain without actually going out and purchasing os x server.

-a