Re: [netatalk-admins] Net Boot (Was: AS IP speeds)

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Net Boot (Was: AS IP speeds)
From: William P. McGonigle (William.P.McGonigle@Hitchcock.ORG)
Date: Fri Jan 08 1999 - 13:58:12 EST

--- wesley.craig@umich.edu wrote:
I have sniffs from a netbooting iMac. It could be that things have
changed since I took it, as it was fairly early. It looked to me to be
a DHCP transaction followed by an ASIP filesystem mount. I understand
that it doesn't work with AS over AppleTalk (ASAT?).
--- end of quote ---

You can get some PDF's on Open Firmware network booting on Sun's OF site. It
specifies a method for bootp/tftpd. I've read elsewhere that the first stage
boot loads a bit through tftp then it does "something else" from there. I guess
it loads a simple ASIP client. Neat. :)

I can't imagine this won't be working with netatalk real soon. ;)

-Bill, Jealous