[netatalk-admins] Netatalk resource fork format

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk resource fork format
From: Lee Blevins (dgraph@tiac.net)
Date: Mon Jan 11 1999 - 07:15:28 EST

I'm very dissapointed that in upgrading my Rampage rips
(www.rampageinc.com) they said I can't use netatalk or they won't
support the installation.

EVen though I have a netatalk server working with their system and it's
showing no signs of instability.

Their network guru, Pat Flaherty, says that they've never heard of
freebsd or netatalk. The only issue he could flag as we discussed this
was that they need to read fonts off the server. They use an NT based
RIP and he says they don't know how the resource fork is stored and this
could be a problem. He also says that netatalk and freebsd have no
support base so he's worried about how they get support with it.

I would very much like to encourage Rampage Systems to add netatalk to
their list of supported servers. Currently they support a list of
servers that include NT, Sun and SGI. On their web page they don't say
what AFP's they support on Sun and SGI.

My question is how is the resource fork handled on netatalk relative to
other systems such as Ushare, Helios and NT's SFM? Is it something
completely different or is it the same?