Re: [netatalk-admins] [Q} log in as "root" and slow appletalk transfer

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] [Q} log in as "root" and slow appletalk transfer
From: ian reinhart geiser (geiseri@msoe.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 14 1999 - 07:05:16 EST

----------
>From: Kim Chua <still@doubt.com>
>To: <netatalk-admins@umich.edu>
>Subject: [netatalk-admins] [Q} log in as "root" and slow appletalk transfer
>Date: Thu, Jan 14, 1999, 3:12 PM
>

> I have the following Problem:
> I do most of my work on a mac which is connected via ethernet ONLY to
> another pmac running LinuxPPC on which I have just set up an AppleShare
> server. I am able to connect over TCP/IP via chooser but unable to log in
> as root, which means I have very limited privileges. Is there anyway I
> can have full write/read privileges? (I have set myself to belong to the
> "root" group). Or even log in as "root", since I have no security issues
> to solve?

    I created an account that had full read write access to all of my
    Netatalk files.

> Also transferring file from the Mac to the LinuxPPC over Netatalk is very
> very very slow, is this very normal.

    I am not sure who's fault this is but i am going to smack them when
    i find out. I have to FORCE the drives to mount via Appleshare so
    that i can read them this century. When i did a Tcpdump on the line
    i found that IP mounted drives would talk IP for about 10 sec and then
    stop. Jabber some Appletalk and then hang for about a min or two. Then
    it would repeat....

    i have no clue how to fix it so i can only hope someone who knows the
    code can help..

    -ian reinhart geiser