[netatalk-admins] No volumes available on Solaris 2.6

Subject: [netatalk-admins] No volumes available on Solaris 2.6
From: Kareem Kazkaz (kareem@email.labmed.umn.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 22 1999 - 10:08:59 EST

Hello all.

I'm running Solaris 2.6 on a SparcStation20.

I was running netatalk-1.4b2 with the afpd-macos8 and the solariseagain
patches, and everything was running just peachy. I then wanted the AFP over
TCP bit, so downloaded Adrian Sun's distribution (netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1).
The compilation went smoothly, and I installed the package (including the
make kinstall) successfully.

The non-default line from the /etc/rc2.d/atalk script is:

    /usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd -c 15 -n "HCS Public"; echo ' afpd\c'

and the first few lines of my /usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.system are:

    /export/desktop.server/holdfolder "Hold Folder" -noguest \
        -nosetpassword

    /export/desktop.server/tiiap "TIIAP" -noguest -nosetpassword

    ~ "Home Directory" -noguest \
        -nosetpassword

(in the actual AppleVolumes.system, I did not use the backslash...each entry
is on one line.)

When I open up the Chooser on my desktop Mac, I see the "HCS Public" service
available under AppleTalk. I can connect to the server just fine using my
username and password, just as I'm used to doing. Normally, I would then be
presented with a window that reads, "HCS Public", and "Select the items you
want to use", and three volumes to connect to: Hold Folder, TIIAP, and my
home directory. Unfortunately, after installing 1.4b2+asun2.1.1, I am
presented with a blank window. That is, there is no Hold Folder, TIIAP, or
home directory. I've never run into this before, so I figured I'd put a
screenshot up on the web at
http://www.hinf.umn.edu/~kareem/pictures/netatalk.gif.

I have not changed my configuration (e.g. any files in /usr/local/atalk/etc)
in any way between the two versions. Does anybody have any suggestions as
to what might be going on?

Thanks a great deal in advance.

                        Kareem