Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI
From: Kadinger Andras (bandit@freeside.elte.hu)
Date: Sat Jan 23 1999 - 11:23:24 EST

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Lee Blevins wrote:

> snip
> >
> > Why are you even bothering to archive the low-res? It's a) embedded in the
> > document (QXpress or Photoshop or whatever) b) can be regenerated from tyhe
> > hi-res by the sampler in a few secs anyway. Separate low-res/hi-res folders
> > make more sense to me. Besides, tagging on suffices is all very well, but you
> > run into the Mac's 31-char limit very quickly (and if it's on a Kanji
> > system...)
>
> You need to understand pre-press workflow a little better. We have an
> obligqtion to the originator of the document to reproduce it exactly.
>
> If ever there was an error and it was discovered that we re-made the low
> res files, it would point the blame at us. It is very important that we
> archive the job EXACTLY as it was printed. Same files, same fonts, same
> documents.
>
> However logical or illogical that blame pointing is, we have to deal
> with the opinions and superstitions of our customers. So the golden rule
> is don't change it unless there's an absolute need to do so.
>
> In my environment, we don't use low res images most of the time. Most
> documents come to us with high res in place. Quark allows the insertion
> of OPI comments by selecting "omit tiff and eps" at print time.
>
> To anyone considering programming an opi server I'd suggest a couple of
> things:
>
> 1) Don't bother dealing with separations. The trend is to go to in-rip
> seps and most high end equipment requires composite postscript.

Hmm, but what about spot colors then? This is the only thing keeping me
from going composite...

> 2) Don't bother with low res generation. Many proxy files are very
> specific to their opi server. There is a product call "Sampler" that is
> freely distributed by Imation that creates a low res file that uses
> standard OPI comments. Since a low res file is not required for OPI
> (most apps support opi comments at print time) it could bog down the
> process with work that's not needed.

Yep, this was my intention as well.

> I would think that a Netatalk OPI server could be developed quickly if
> it were first limited to composite ps and application generated opi
> comments.

In fact, I have one working somewhat well right now.

> The bulk of the programming work would be to re-write tiffs as binary
> postscript. EPS files could be inserted as is.

libtiff (a TIFF handling library) has small utilities doing similar work,
although for me it seems not quite perfectly from a prepress perspective;
but that can be helped easily.

> Here's my (non-programmer thoughts)
>
> 1. Scan the file for OPI (%ADL....) comments and create an image list.
> 2. Search the paths to see if the images are there.
> (Error on missing images.)
> 3. Re-write the postscript file with the high res inserted.
> 4. Spool file to rip or a monitored directory.

I decided to take the 'easier' way out and err out on the fly if an image
is missing; this one-pass behaviour was much simpler to implement as a
testbed.

> Anybody game on this "Simple OPI" code?

Hmm, it seems I will have to put out what I have. I'll do so in a couple
of days.

Andras Kadinger
bandit@freeside.elte.hu

PS: Anybody having experience with Majordomo? I'd gladly start up an OPI
list if people want it and if someone volunteered to configure Majordomo
here.