Re: [netatalk-admins] One Server, 2 Volumes and a big file

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] One Server, 2 Volumes and a big file
From: a sun (asun@saul2.u.washington.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 20:35:34 EST

> Right now I encountered the following problem: =20 I=B4ve got one
>server which exports two volumes. =20 From the Finder I tried to
>copy a big file (about 600M) from one volume t= o the other one.
>=20 What happened: After the =B4copy=B4 window opened the mac was
>blocked (no progress bar i= n the window, watch cursor active).

it turns out that i was wondering about this in the case of
implementing FPCatSearch as that could conceivably result in long
delays and subsequent timeouts. the solution that immediately pops
into mind is to split the afpd loop into a couple threads. as long as
we're extra careful not to actually interrupt an actual response, we
should be fine.

in case your interested in what's happening, the FPCopyFile code
should actually handle tickles being sent to the client all
right. however, it's most likely not responding to tickles due to it
servicing the FPCopyFile request. having a couple threads should
make that possible.

so, here's the big question: what systems have pthread support? i'm
pretty sure linux, *bsd, and solaris do, but i don't think sunos and
ultrix do. i suppose i can just not create separate threads on those
platforms.

-a