Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI
From: Sak Wathanasin (sw@nan.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jan 23 1999 - 20:21:06 EST

> They are not archived, but they have to be present during the whole
> production process. A subfolder named 'layout' is also common practice.
>
> Quite often Xpress files and the low-res files are given to external
> people for layout purposes. When these files return, their OPI paths
> still must match.

The hi-res path must be the same*; the low-res file is not used at all during
printing: it must be embedded in the PS stream, otherwise the OPI server never
sees it.

> Mmh, good point. But few people use (too) long names. They seem to
> prefer deeply nested folders, which makes the pathnames long, not the
> filenames.

There's a 255-byte limit on Mac pathnames as well.

> And I doubt that there is a Kanji-savvy commercial OPI software running
> on Unix...

Maybe not on Unix, but I worked on one for the Mac...

* Most commercial OPI servers will also allow you to specify a number of
default folders to look in if it can't find the original path; the one I worked
on certainly did.

>From your other message:

> But only if the preview matches the settings for the layout file. If you
> just downsample a tiff file from 300 to 72 dpi you get a really small
> file, but you lose quality.

Only if you're talking about print quality; there is no loss in screen-display
quality. That is because the Mac only displays at 72 dpi. Photoshop/QXpress etc
effectively all "downsample" (or rather QuickDraw does) as they draw to the
screen. It has to do it every time it redraws, and of course, all operations
apply to every pixel in the original hi-res, even though you only see the
effects at 72 dpi, which is why uisng the low-res is such a big win.

> > Does this mean that you have the Helios OPI watching every job folder? In
>
> No, it watches the whole volume(s) automatically. There is no way to
> configure anything.

Yuck; no wonder you guys complain.

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited
178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Internet: sw@nan.co.uk
Phone: (+44) 1203 419996 Fax: (+44) 1203 690690