Re: [netatalk-admins] File locking and Word

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] File locking and Word
From: Bob Smith, Hammett & Edison, Inc. (bsmith@h-e.com)
Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 16:15:18 EST

On Tue, Jan 19, 1999, 22:49:43 Roger Grant wrote:

>Some of the clients use Word 5.1 with System 7.6.1, and if they edit a
>locked file (locked on the Finder) and save it, there is no warning that
>file is locked and the locked file is overwritten by the newly edited
>version...

I've encountered this same problem with Word 5.1. Even though the file is
locked in the Finder, there is nothing to actually prevent the app from
writing to it, because afpd does not check the Finder bits before allowing a
write. The only thing that works is to change the permissions on the files
from the Unix side so that afpd can't write to the files. There has been some
past discussion about patching afpd so that it automatically maps the Finder
lock bit to the write permission bits on a file, but I don't know if anyone
has actually done that.

>While examining the logs I noticed that any file openned by Excel
>generated a "byte lock: trash.xls" but not Word documents.

This doesn't have anything to do with the Finder lock, this is low-level byte
locking to prevent multiple writes to the same file while it is open.

Bob Smith
Hammett & Edison, Inc.
bsmith@h-e.com