[netatalk-admins] "Recent Servers" always ends up using Appletalk!

Subject: [netatalk-admins] "Recent Servers" always ends up using Appletalk!
From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber (spammail@quanta.paypc.com)
Date: Mon Feb 15 1999 - 02:01:51 EST

Hrm.... I don't know if anyone else notices this "problem"....

But with:

MacOS 8.5.1, the OT 2.0.1 with it, and ASIP 3.8.1.... the latest pre-asun
2.1.2 on Intel Linux (with module Appletalk properly running)...

Even when I "clear out" my Recent Server shortcuts, and make EXPLICIT TCP
connections using the "Server Address..." button.... sooner or later, before
long, my Recent Server shortcuts end up using AppleTalk instead of AFP/TCP
for the connection. I can always tell because it's SLOWER than TCP.

I do not wish to eliminate the Appletalk [can I?] portion of the services,
since there are a coupld of old machines on my net that cannot (or will not
for reliability's sake) run Open Transport, hence, AFP/TCP isn't an option
for them.

I do not know if this is relevant, but... I let netatalk advertise the
machine's name on A-talk as well as TCP. (The Appleshare entity is called
"myhost", and the TCP/IP address is also "myhost"). Is this the reason, or
does it not matter?

I am otherwise 100% pleased with netatalk, and this is really just an
annoyance more than anything. I am figuring I'm configuring something
incorrectly.

My config line is as follows:

- -rand2num -noguest -setpassword

Should I make "two servers" one that's DDP only, and one that's TCP only,
each with different names? My only problem with this, is that an alias made
to objects will definitely break depending on which client did the
alias-making. [In some areas of my server, I control its organisation and
layout, and despite the infamous DirID problems [I don't use the experimental
code currently, though I will setup a test server soon] aliases generally
work ok for us.

=Robert=