Re: [netatalk-admins] Questions...

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Questions...
From: Marc Matteo (mmatteo@sacbee.com)
Date: Tue Jan 26 1999 - 02:27:44 EST

Kimon Tsinteris wrote:

> Basically, I am very
> new to
> the aspect of networking computers together.

And you have a Linux box?!? <grin>

This is kinda off topic for netatalk-admins but what the heck.

> So far this is what I have. My linux box has two NICs in it. I was
> hopping
> one would be connected to the Internet and the other just to my mac
> (basically a daisy chain). Is this the right way to go about it?

Yes. Basically what you want to do is set up "IP Masquerading" There
are HOWTOs and websites dedicated to it (tho I can't think of any
specific URLs off the top of my head).

What IP Masq gets you is the ability to set up a private network using a
Linux box as a gateway to talk to the Internet. My home is set up
exactly like that. I have a Linux box that is a netatalk server, and it
runs IP Masq and connects to the Internet via PPP. My mac(s) connect to
the Internet through it. To the outside world I use just one IP address
even though each "inside" machine has it's own "non-routing" IP address.

> basically
> proceeded to install Netatalk and even dhcpd even though at that point
> I am
> really over my head.

I run DHCP because I'm lazy :) and I wanted to see how it worked. You
really don't need to, you can set your IP addresses manually.

> While on the topic of IPs... exactly what do
> want to assign my card that will be interfacing with the Mac, and
> likewise
> for the Mac's card?

That's covered very nicely in the IP Masq HOWTO.

> Currently Netatalk gives me an error that it cannot register
> Workstation@
> and then proceeds on while it boots. But, I am thinking I have a lot
> of
> configuring to do before any error message actually means much.

This is probably because your network is in a bit of disarray while you
sort out you IP addresses and such :).

Marc

--
Marc Matteo