Re: [netatalk-admins] atalk compile question

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] atalk compile question
From: Colin Postel (cpostel@primo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 26 1999 - 15:20:37 EST

>In the netatalk/src/linux Makefile is the following:
>
># if you aren't using pam and are using glibc, you'll need to add -lcrypt
># if you're using libc5, you'll need to take out the -lrpcsvc
>
>Q: how to find out if I'm using glibc or libc5?

do an "ls -l /lib/libc*"
if you see files like libc.so.5 or libc.so.6 or libc-2.0.7, this should
give you some idea. glibc = libc6

>The first time I tried to compile/install netatalk 1.4, I encountered a
>compile error when the linking (?) got to -lrpcsvc. So, I'm thinking
>that this part of the Makefile is important for me. I've been unable to
>find out how to tell whether I have glibc or libc5 (or even it's an
>either/or). I know about /lib, but there are dozens of files in this
>dir. I checked dmesg, and nothing there seems to indicate anything
>pertinant.

it isn't an either, you can have both.

>I have kernel 2.0.35, Slackware 3.6 installed.

kernel is irrelevant. i think slackware is distributed with libc5 still,
tho i don't know why it hasn't migrated up to glibc.

hope this helps

Colin Postel, System Administrator
Primo Angeli, Inc.
cpostel@primo.com