Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.X +AFS +MacOS-8.5.X

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.X +AFS +MacOS-8.5.X
From: Randall S. Winchester (rsw@Glue.umd.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 02 1999 - 14:36:43 EST

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Douglas M. MacFarlane wrote:

: On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Randall S. Winchester wrote:
: > 2) Also, an ignorant question, Can the client be shown a single server icon
: > (like "My home") in the chooser, which actually is pointing to any of 10
: > machines?
: >
: > With Appletalk we had to put a netatalk-server up in each lab. With the
: > TCP/IP support we would like to have a row of netatalk-servers in a machine
: > room on a high speed network. The clients should only be presented with a
: > single choice.
:
: It won't appear in the Device List with the AppleShare icon
: selectec, but if you define an IP Name such as asmaster.umd.edu that
: has multiple CNAME or A records, one for each of your ten servers,
: clients could enter this IP Name and DNS would round-robin them to
: the machines.
:
: The only drawback is that without a hacked DNS, there is no easy way
: to keep 1 out of every 10 connections from going to a dead IP
: address if one of your 10 servers is down for the count. the best
: you can do is force a TTL of 300 seconds on the records, and if a
: server goes down, remove it from the round-robin and re-HUP named.

Thanks for the information, Doug.

Yes, we do have code which checks the status of these servers and reloads
its' zone file every 300 seconds.

Randall