Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.X +AFS +MacOS-8.5.X

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.X +AFS +MacOS-8.5.X
From: Douglas M. MacFarlane (madmac@mcs.net)
Date: Tue Feb 02 1999 - 13:02:56 EST

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Randall S. Winchester wrote:
> 2) Also, an ignorant question, Can the client be shown a single server icon
> (like "My home") in the chooser, which actually is pointing to any of 10
> machines?
>
> With Appletalk we had to put a netatalk-server up in each lab. With the
> TCP/IP support we would like to have a row of netatalk-servers in a machine
> room on a high speed network. The clients should only be presented with a
> single choice.

It won't appear in the Device List with the AppleShare icon
selectec, but if you define an IP Name such as asmaster.umd.edu that
has multiple CNAME or A records, one for each of your ten servers,
clients could enter this IP Name and DNS would round-robin them to
the machines.

The only drawback is that without a hacked DNS, there is no easy way
to keep 1 out of every 10 connections from going to a dead IP
address if one of your 10 servers is down for the count. the best
you can do is force a TTL of 300 seconds on the records, and if a
server goes down, remove it from the round-robin and re-HUP named.

Doug

Douglas M. MacFarlane
Principal, Vauban Industries
madmac@mcs.net