[netatalk-admins] Netatalk and Apple help..

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and Apple help..
From: John Nanas (JohnN@Review.com)
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 11:41:54 EST

Greets to all,

I have a problem providing Mac print services with an NT (yeach) machine
which I've been trying to solve, and have decided to throw Netatalk and
Linux at the problem. The major problem being my unfamiliarity with
AppleTalk, but I've read up some and now I think I'm ready to give it a
shot.

Here's what I'd like to do.. I have a small Mac lab (25-30 seats) that sit
on a mostly NT network. The Mac machines are running some type of AppleTalk
over IP which allows them to acquire IP addresses using DHCP and get mail
and internet services from the NT network.

I have a Linux box on which I use Samba to provide print services to the NT
machines. I would like to add a second ethernet adapter to this machine,
and somewhat isolate that Mac lab. Routing of AppleTalk IP would be done (I
hope) by the Linux box, and the Macs would rely on the Linux box for print
services.

Do I sound like I'm on my way? Is there a more comprehensive manual or FAQ
to Netatalk than I've found thus far (which, seems to be very clear - I
haven't actually tried to implement it, since I'm still waiting for another
ethernet adapter for my Linux box, and to speak to the SE who maintains the
Macs), but the configuration files seem to be very confusing to me, even
after reading the man pages.

Anyone with help/suggestions/tips/prior experience? I would greatly
appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks,
John Nanas