Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and Apple help..

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and Apple help..
From: Netatalk Admin (netatalk@freebsd.starkmedia.com)
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 13:09:27 EST

Why do you want another ethernet adapter? I believe you can run netatalk
and samba on the same linux box with no problems.

Perhaps you have some special reason for doing so, but I run Netatalk,
Samba and many other services on my workstation which is a simple Pentium
90. It runs quite smooth, even when people are transferring large amounts
of data. A modern day Pentium II or III would probably show far less
load, but that has nothing to do with a extra ethernet adapter. I even
have an 5 year old ethernet card and it works great.

As long as you have a decent you should be ok and the Netatalk system will
broadcast the services you hope to offer. What you will have to do is set
up the mac printers in the printcap so the Macs can use them. There are
tutorials online for this sort of thing.

If you need additional help, I am sure this list will have the resources
you need.

And if you just wanted reassurances that you can do what you are hoping to
do, I say from experience that it can be done. I share this
machine with the Macs on the network and over the internet with
AppleShare IP. I also have it configured to offer print services to the
Macs, but only on the internal network. It also runs somewhat as an
applications server. I have heard of a shop running 50 macs off a
netatalk system and running apps like Quark and Photoshop. The guy that
was the admin over it said he has had no problems. The system is very
stable.

It takes care of itself once it is set up. Have fun with it!