Re: [netatalk-admins] papd baling out with msg lp_init: lock: No such file...

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] papd baling out with msg lp_init: lock: No such file...
From: Peter Whaite (peta@dem.qc.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 18 1999 - 10:56:59 EST

Martin Stenzel said:

> An iMac is linked to my Linux box with attached printer (Canon BJ 200e)at
> lp1 and I tried to make it execute print orders made from the iMac.
>
> I am using the following:
>
> Kernel 2.0.36
> netatalk 1.4.2b
> ghostscript 3.33
> MacOS 8.1

I have had similar experience with imac running macos 8.5.1 (french version),
and Aladdin gs-5.02 (and also gs-5.50).

> My Mac tells me that the document could not be printed due to a PostScript
> error (I like those "precise" error msgs!) This is all of the information I
> receive.

I found that gs could not digest the imac postscript. It crashes in the true
type font definitions (e.g. Geneva). Documents containing only the standard
postscript fonts (e.g. helvetica) work. Maybe that is your problem here too.
To check:

1. There is a printer option to print postscript error reports. Turn it on.
   If there is a postscript error the printer will produce a page showing
   where the error occurred.

2. Use the printer driver to save the postscript as an EPS file, then transfer
   the file to linux system via ftp. It should not matter what mode is used
   for the transfer (binary/ascii), but try both just in case. Try to display
   the transferred file using gs.

If this is your problem I have no solution to offer. Maybe there is some
magic ppd that induces the macos driver to produce digestible postscript, but I
didnt look that hard. Aladdin might have a patch for ghostscript.

In the end we bought a postscript printer (HP2100M) and installed it on linux.
No more problems.