Re: [netatalk-admins] Solaris 2.6 aarp_rput problem

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Solaris 2.6 aarp_rput problem
From: Yuji Shinozaki (yuji@physics.unc.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 22:19:16 EST

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 wesley.craig@umich.edu wrote:

> > From: Kelvin Edwards <kelvin@jlab.org>
> > To: "David S." <davids@fruitfly.BDGP.Berkeley.EDU>

> This message means that someone else is trying to use your server's
> AppleTalk address. If it happens during boot, this is not a problem,
> as the server will pick a new address. If a Mac "steals" the server's
> address after afpd is up, then the server could becomes invisible.
> This ought to only happen if the network become partitioned, e.g. a hub
> is power-cycled.
>
> :wes

I see "NOTICE: aarp_rput: someone is using our address" regularly on my
netatalk server (asun-2.1.1). We have a mess of an appletalk situation in
a large flat unrouted campus subnet (almost entirely switched). Restarting
with and without forcing the server to do a new discovery (by editing out
the address in atalkd.conf) does not help. Eventually, we will get the
messages again. It does not seem to effect anything until a few days
after restarting where the afpd will disappear from Ethertalk (it will
however continue to serve ASIP). I have feeling this is in part due the
saturation of nodes and switch latency: Maybe atalkd is doing aarp probes
and never hears back from the far ends of the subnet so it assumes its
address is free or a distant host will do aarp's and give up before our
node has a chance to respond...?

For this reason (among many others) we are trying to go fully TCP on our
macs. There just isn't a good solution to the service directory problem
(does anyone know the status of SLP on the macos 8.5?)

yuji

----
Yuji Shinozaki		        Systems Administrator
yuji@physics.unc.edu	        Dept of Physics and Astronomy
http://www.physics.unc.edu      Univ. of North Carolina - CH
(919)962-7214 (voice)           CB 3255 Philips Hall
(919)962-0480 (fax)	        Chapel Hill, NC  27599